Pet Sitting Tips, from Barking Heads
How do I choose the right pet sitter for my pet?
We know it’s scary leaving your beloved four-legged furry-friend with a pet sitter. As a former Veterinary Nurse and pet sitter for over five years, I want to share my experiences and advise on my best tips for choosing a pet sitter and making the experience as easy, safe and reassuring for both owner and pet sitter whilst taking care of your cat or dog.
Lucky for you and your pet, we have also gone to the trouble of creating your own personal Pet Sitting Guide, which you can download here (Our Cat version is coming soon we paw-mise!), print and fill in for your pet sitter so they know all of the im-pawtant details about your four-legged friend (because it's important that not a gram of food is missed from their bowl and their walking schedule is not disrupted!).
How do I choose the right pet sitter?
Don’t be afraid to be particular when choosing your pet sitter, it has to be the paw-fect partnership for both parties. It’s important your cat or dog feels comfortable around this new person and you feel that you can trust your pet in their care.
Some ways you can do this are the following:
- Ask for references
- Read reviews
- Ask your local Vets for recommendations
- Ask a friend or family member for recommendations
- Use a reputable website or pet-sitting company
- Ensure the pet-sitter is experienced with your breed
- If your pet has medical conditions, ensure the pet-sitter understands and is comfortable to manage this
What does my pet sitter need to know?
To ensure your pet doesn't become stressed with the change, we recommend having your pet-sitter meet and greet your cat or dog atleast once beforehand, especially if they're a little bit nervous with new people! Keeping your pets routine the same whilst you're way will also help during this uncertain period.
Walkies routine 🐾
- Collar, harness or off-lead?
- Walkies locations
- Length of walkies and wee-wee breaks
- Cleaning routine (for the soggy-doggy who loves a mud bath!)
- Social Interaction preferences with two-legged humans and four-legged fur-ends
Feeding routine 🍴
- Daily feeding requirements
- Feeding times
- Wet and/or dry food
- Ensure you've got enough food whilst you're away (stock up!)
Play time 🧸
- Favourite toys
- Play time routine
Sleep time 💤
- Sleeping spots
- Favourite beds and blankets
- Bed time routine
The Impaw-tent stuff ❗
- Paw-rent contact details
- Vet location and contact details
- Medical conditions and medications
- Allergies and sensitivities (some pets require special medications and a hypoallergenic food)
Finding the paw-fect pet sitter can be a little scary but researching different pet sitters, asking the right questions and providing all of the im-pawtent information can help reassure you that your pet is in the right care.
Former Veterinary Nurse
*The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified pet health provider with any questions you may have regarding your pet’s health*