Easter Dangers for Pets

 

Whether you’re having an Easter egg hunt or a Spring Sunday Easter feast, there are plenty of safe ways to involve your four-legged friend but it’s also important to be aware of the toxicities commonly found around this time of the year. Our Vet, Dr Scott Miller advises on the dangers around this time of year and what to do in case of an emergency.

 

Chocolate 🍫

Chocolate is one of the most common (and yummy!) treats that you think of when you hear ‘Easter’ but unfortunately, its very toxic for pets. Chocolate contains a chemical called Theobromine, which can be poisonous to dogs, cats, rabbits and rodents. So it’s very important to keep this out of reach from our pets' noses, especially our dogs who have a very powerful and sensitive sense of smell - they love a game of hide and seek!

What do I do if my pet eats chocolate?

If you think your pet has ingested chocolate, immediately call your vet. Keep the packaging as the vet will benefit from knowing the cocoa solids in the chocolate, to indicate if your pet has ingested a toxic dose or not.

Dog-Friendly Easter Tips
    • Keep chocolate safely contained and out of reach from your dog
    • A dog-friendly Easter hunt with dog treats (Test your dog’s detection skills by hiding some yummy dog treats in the garden or house!)
    • Keep your dog out of the areas where there is an Easter hunt and remember to remove all of the chocolate from the hidden spots once they’re allowed back in
    • Have your vet details quickly accessible in case of ingestion
    • Educate your children on the risks so they don’t accidentally feed your dog any chocolate

 

Hot Cross Buns and Simnel Cake 🍰

Did you know those juicy grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas found in some of our favourite Easter treats are toxic to dogs? So keep those yummy hot cross buns and cakes out of reach! Dr Scott Miller recommends keeping some treats handy for you four-legged Easter dog so they don't feel left out or make feeding time yummy with their favourite food!

 

Spring Bulbs 💐

Spring has sprung and so have the beautiful Spring flowers but did you know, there are certain flowers that can be poisonous to dogs and cats? So its important to keep your pets' noses out of these flowers. Dr Scott Miller warns the following flowers can potentially be toxic to your furry friend:

    • Lilies - Although beautiful, did you know that these are highly toxic to cats? All types and parts of this flower are toxic, most issues occur if they brush against the stamens or ingest any of the flower.
    • Daffodils - Dogs can become very unwell if the flowers are eaten or if they drink the water from the vase containing the daffodils.
    • Tulips - Toxins found in tulips can cause irritation to the mouth and gastrointestinal tract which can make your dog very poorly.
    • Spring Crocus - These flowers are low toxicity but can cause tummy upset so its best to avoid these.

 

I think my pet has eaten something toxic, what do I do?

Immediately call your vet and communicate exactly what and how much has been ingested, inhaled or touched. The vet will advise on the appropriate course of action. Do not make your dog sick as this could make things worse. Even if your dog seems fine, it's always best to speak to your vet as sometimes the effects from these toxicities can be delayed.

 

What do I tell my vet?

Dr Scott Miller advises providing your vet with as much information as possible will provide more clarity on the situation and help to make an informed decision as to whether your dog needs to be treated by them, and if so, what the best treatment would be.

    • What poison you think your pet may have ingested, inhaled or touched
    • The amount your pet may have been exposed to
    • What day and time your pet was exposed to the poison
    • Clinical side effects i.e. vomiting, diarrhoea.

 

If in doubt, don’t wait for your pet to become unwell before calling your vet. The sooner your pet can be treated, the better! 

 

Happy Easter from myself Dr Scott Miller, and all of of us at Barking Heads! 🐰🐣

Vet, Dr Scott Miller and Barking Heads

 

Check out Vet Advice on dangers around the festivities from Vet, Dr Scott Miller and Barking Heads!

 

 *The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified pet health provider with any questions you may have regarding your pet’s health*